Ireland to replace Australia in U-19 World Cup announced by ICC
Australia has withdrawn from the ICC under 19 Cricket World Cup 2016 which is going to be held in Bangladesh from January 27 announced by Cricket Australia (CA). The withdrawal of the Australian team from this tournament is due to the ‘Security and Safety’ reasons.
Last year this same problem was occurred with senior Australian cricket team when they postponed their tour of Bangladesh in October under the same reasons. International Cricket Council (ICC) mourns on this statement and showed disappointment on the withdrawal of Australian team from this month’s ICC Under-19 World Cup in Bangladesh.
— ICC Media (@ICCMediaComms) January 5, 2016
— Cricket Ireland (@Irelandcricket) January 5, 2016
“Whilst the ICC notes and respects the position of Cricket Australia, which we understand is based on advice received from the Australian Government, we are obviously disappointed with the decision,” said International Cricket Council CEO David Richardson.
Australia team were in Group D for the 16-nation tournament alongside India, Nepal and New Zealand and will be replaced by Ireland team who were the runners-up in the qualifying tournament in Kuala Lumpur in October.
“Naturally, as part of that planning process, the ICC’s own security team, supported by an independent security agency, will continue to monitor closely the situation in Bangladesh, including all travel advisories provided by relevant government agencies,” he said.
“The ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is an extremely important event on the ICC calendar. We remain confident that the ICC, in conjunction with the BCB, will be able to successfully deliver this event in Bangladesh,” he added.
Cricket Australia apologized to the ICC and the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) over this issue.